TENT - Norst tents

SUNJAN sunjan at prismnet.bc.ca
Fri Jan 14 17:22:54 PST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Tanya Guptill <tguptill at teleport.com>
To: <tentguild at Ansteorra.ORG>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: TENT - Norst tents

> Lady Marguerite, Tudor Tent Maker Extraordinaire :) wrote:
I had been send an article from a friend about the things
they use to water seal the wool felt and binder for the sail
and the tents. <SNIP>. The articles talked about a recent
find of a viking ship and the materials was sealed with cows
milk. The fat in the milk seems to be thick enough to water
seal the materials as well as acting as a
binder for the materials it self.

And Tanya responded:
> If memory serves, Duchess Lao of An Tir treated her first
small yurt with a milk waterproofing.  Unfortunately, it
made the tent smell like spoiled milk, with guaranteed her
neighbors camped a bit farther away.

Aha! Got ya!
It was NOT Duchess Lao, it was , um..................Sunjan.
And it was not a yurt, but a small felt travelling tent
(maikhan) resembling a Civil War ridge pole tent, but with
bamboo for poles. My neighbours STILL camp at a distance -
and the tent in question was only noxious for ONE season
before the felt additions I put in to enlarge it revealed
themselves to be ACRYLIC and shredded. The "reputation" of
that tent has guaranteed me large camping spaces for over 10
years...............

Wanted to add my two Vikings worth about the Quest For The
Perfect Tent - I am still 'tweaking' after building or
inspiring more than 15 yurts. Will get it right one day.
Will get to Pennsic one day. Will win the Lotto one day.

P.S. - Tanya, July Coronation is 10 minutes South of the
Canadian border. Probably a good time and place to stop
running and go to Court for a new dangly............ :-)
Mental note to self: make a yurt BEFORE the party! (tired of
being the Homeless Yurtbuilder)

Long Live the Tent Guild!

Sunjan