TENT - Re: Norse Tents

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Fri Jan 14 16:02:19 PST 2000

Mistress Barbary wrote:

> If I could time travel I would go to Field of Cloth of Gold and watch them
> erect those tents!

If anyone is in San Diego in the next couple months, the Winged Horseman exhibit
is coming, and includes at least one of the incredible Turkish
embroidered/appliqued tents (see pic at http://www.wawel.krakow.pl/namiot.jpg).
These tents were preserved by the Poles, who used to capture the tents as war
booty with the Turks, and thankfully some of the tents survived.

> Anyway, I am delighted to be corresponding with you all at last.  It's
> amazing what giving up a territorial baronage can do for one's peace of
> mind!

Twelfth Night was my last event on retinue for TRM, and I know what sort of work
that involved, so I can definitely understand why  the greater burden of running
a barony would feel like a weight off your back when completed!

> And when they are finally set up---wow!  what a high!  Suddenly the
> tent is its own entity--it has an essence that is beyond the maker, beyond
> that pile of fabric on the dining room table...

I know just what you mean--that's the moment that makes the sewing all
worthwhile.  And where I can see if I sewed the roof to the floor, too ;)
Haven't done that yet, but don't take any sucker bets on me....