[PE - Getald pattern]

Stephen Wyley svenskildbiter at angelfire.com
Wed Oct 18 13:52:58 PDT 2000

Hi Wyllow,

On 18 Oct 00 08:37:17 CDT   Wendy Freeman/Otte wrote:
>But the one I saw had the ends sewed closed, in the bell-shape.

Then I suggest it was not in fact a getald.

These all
>have open ends, and resemble strange-looking pup tents.  I would expect them
>to need ropes to keep the lateral tension even, too.

The stress of pegging the bottom of the wall edge against the internal wooden supports produces the required tension. Apex guy do not appear in the period manuscript illuminations.

>I'll check your book references, see if maybe it's an interpretation of an
>illustration.  The oval tent mystery remains unsolved.
>
>--Wyllow

---
Bye for now,

Sven
(Stephen Francis Wyley)
Fortifications (Dictionary of Military Architecture, etc).
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/index.html
Archery, Arms, Armour, Chests, Tents, Trebuchets,
Vikings, Woodwork.
http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html
Arrow Fletching, Turbow Longbows & Yoretymes Emporium of History
http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/index2.html