RF - Yoshi...

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 25 04:00:52 PST 2000

Allie,

and all others new and old who wish to join households...

I know that you are trying to find a place to fit in...and that just comes
in time...I just want you to remember that in joining a household you are
joining a family...you need to figure out whether the people you want to
become family members with are right for you and you are right for
them....I've seen way too many problems happen that could be avoided with a
little more time spent actually looking at the situation rather than just
being glad a person was initially accepted.

You really should be steadily playing SCA for 6 months to a year before you
choose a household...they may have been the people you would be around
anyway...or not...but then you will know some of your interests in the SCA
and how the household reacts with itself and others...

In my household we adopt daughters...and we feel for those people as if they
are our children (or good friends) and we take responsibility for their
actions...we have a year long "prospect" period so that the embryo gets to
know us and we get to know them...our household has learned that a feeling
of innitial connection does not always mean that the person should be a
member...

In speaking to Flinx...one of the founders of Rolling Thunder...they have
had the same problem.  Many of their households, in a effort to gain more
members, have grown too fast...resulting in having many problems
internally...because they chose people who did not fit with their
group...just for the numbers...and then those people felt alienated when
they didn't really fit into the mix...

Lorraine