[Ravensfort] An Adventure in Stargate...

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 01:18:49 PDT 2005

Friday after work I packed my car then had dinner with Jane and Kief...

I then began an adventure to Stargate. I was heading toward the Natural History Museum in
Houston. My way was thwarted time and time again by I-45 being shut down and large parts of SH-59
being shut down...so I dead reckoned my way to the Museum.

I arrived around 11:00 and the demo was set to start at Midnight. I scrambled into a parking space
and ventured into the entry hall where everyone was set up. There was a Scribal table run by
Mistress Hillary. Centurian Thorgard had his Viking tent up. Their Excellencies Stargate had their
pavilion and were sitting in State. There was a wooden fence that contained the fighting
field...all these were on the right hand side. On the left hand side there were tables with crafts
set up and Thomas had set up his period lathe and was working wood...outside were the horses and
the Trebuchet...

I hurried to get on my SCA clothes and then was tasked to help Mistress Kaitlyn behind the A&S
tables. Soon after I had taken my place I saw Lady Catherine of Barbary soon followed by her
husband Lord Gregor. They tended the Scribal table with Hillary.

It was a wonderous night...the estimate was that from Midnight to 6am there were 1200 persons pass
through the area.

The free Starbucks coffee and other drinks were a godsend since few of us were used to being up in
the hours from Midnight to 6am. There were many activities...including a costume contest and a DJ
tryout...over 71 SCA people participated...

Gregor and Catherine stayed vigilant at the Scribal tables and took over after Hillary went home
to sleep for a few hours (the doors would open agian at 9am) Kaitlyn and I stayed up the entire
time. At 6am we listended to Wyndenwyre's last set...then reset things for the morning opening. At
about 10am I finally laid down on the viking bed in the viking tent for two hours (Demo of a
Viking woman sleeping - Hillary has pictures I'm told) and then got up and did duty helping out
others, helping with the chain mail demo etc...till 6pm. Then we and many other folks turned
Thorgard's tent into a really amazing Viking Storage Room...

Kaitlyn and Rhodri were kind enough to let me sleep at their house that night...and let me peruse
their personal library...lots of kewl books...

Kaitlyn and I got up early and got back to the Museum by 10:30. We had the majority of things set
up by the time the majority of the rest of the people got there...we stayed there till 6pm and
then we all took down all our equipment and transported them to the vehicles...including the
Viking tent.

Friday night and Sunday were the best days because lots of people were interested in what we were
doing. There were lots of flyers passed out. I met people from Oklahoma, Austin, San Antonio,
Beaumont, Dallas, New Caney, Conroe and many other places...this demo may be better than Renfaire
in bringing in people.

All in all though it was hard work...it was much fun and I got to know a number of the Houston
area people much better...I suggest that if anyone has the time...that they go and help out either
next weekend or the last weekend in August...it would be to the benifit to all the Kingdom...and
be a lot of fun too!

FYI they will be most in need of Fighters (get one on one training with Sir Rhodri and Don Aaron
Harper...possibly Don Christifaro too)...and dancers!

Lorraine
the Adventuring Vicaress...