SC - opinions desired on feast menu/ (long - sorry)

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 20:38:27 PDT 1997

<< salmon is
 > tempered with sauce cameline....but are there not more flavorful things
than
 > cinnamon to put onto salmon? >>

There are several approaches to the sauce "problem". The one I use is to make
my sauces vrey potent so to speak. In several attempts at doing period sauces
I have found that the more concentrated they are the better they are. (e.g.
the concentration of modern worchestershire or oyster sauce or catsup, etc.

I think sometimes as SCA cooks we tend to mistakenly associate the word sauce
with gravy and try to come up with something that can be "ladled" over the
dish instead of , IMO, more correctly spooned over it.

To support this theory, I would suggest you redact and try one of the fish
recipes from Apicius. When I did this I tho't YUCK! but after actually making
the dish, the sauce turned out to be excellent and the serving size was
approximately 1 tblsp. per portion. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

Keeping in mind that modern sauces such as catsup contain things we wouldn't
think appropriate  (e.g. cinnamon, cloves, vinegar, etc.) or the anchovies
and citrus fruits in Worchestershire, the long slow cooking necessary for a
good sauce blends and reformulates the original raw flavors  into a single
amalgamated whole. Try it you might like it. :-)

Lord Ras