Re- SC - eels? fish cultiva

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 2 06:37:51 PST 1997

> Stefan li Rous asked:
>
> >So, how was candied ginger used in the Middle Ages? As a candy? In
> >particular foods? I'm not sure how to categorize candied ginger as a
> >food item. I have used it in mead, but I don't know that it was used
> >that way then.
>
> Thomas Dawson (1596) has it as part of the banquet (dessert) course. My
> assumption is that the candied version was used as a confection just as
> candied cubebs, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise and coriander seeds, etc. were
> used.  Petits Propos Culinaires, a number of years ago, had an article
> that included some information on the amount of sweets that were taken
> on campaign by various warriors (dukes, counts, bishops).  The figure
> is quite high.  A number of specific confections were mentioned; ginger
> was not one, but neither were a number of other confections.
>
> Comfits (comfets) were also used as garnishes to several dishes besides
> being eaten by themselves as a candy.  One might suspect that candied
> ginger was used that way in very late period.
>
> All this got me to wanting some candied ginger... Just bought three
> races of it.  Now I have to stay off the computer and make it into a
> confection!
>
> Alys Katharine

Thanks to you all of you folks discussing candied ginger, I was
delighted to notice, on the shelvesof the ubiquitous Asian market,
another item to add to 'The Basket'. It is called 'ting ting jahe'
ginger candy, a confection from indonesia. (Remember my basket is filled
with mostly 'perioid' foods, that can be kept over a long period of
time, for unplanned, last-minute feasts.) The candy is distributed in
the U.S. by Roxy Trading, (909) 622-6888. I realize this is not cooking,
nor medieval, but since it might be a useful addition to an SCA packing
list for those who like to eat, I hope this is helpful.
Angelique
"Too much is not Enough"