SC - Noemi's recipe challenge

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Fri Oct 3 07:49:28 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

>   For some reason I can't explain, the idea of a generous dollop of
>   caraway seed and the grated rind of a lemon seems to cry out to be added
>   to this dish...
>
> Some sour cream, and served over egg noodles.... like Mama used to make.
>
>         Tibor (Momma was a native Hungarian.... caraway and paprika!)

And speaking of heart attacks on a plate ;  ) , the Italian variant,
which is quite similar to some Scandinavian methods, is to braise the
meat slowly in really fresh, unhomogenized milk, with garlic and sweet
marjoram. The milk cooks down and, assuming it doesn't curdle, makes a
rich sauce and glazes the meat with a golden crust like clotted cream. I
have no way of knowing if this is even remotely period, of course.

I'm assuming that the fact that it ain't Kosher to cook milk and meat
together isn't much of an issue here, or at least is secondary to the
more obvious trehf issue.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com