SC - skye cake and fizzy drinks

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Thu Oct 23 16:50:31 PDT 1997

Just a quick note - sorry I'm a bit behind with reading digests -
exams are here...

I seem to have left my recipe for skye cake in storage (damn), but it
was basically your favourite fruitcake with eggs left in and the only
other liquid being the beer.  I have used both a soda-risen form and
a yeast-risen and they were both good.  The original recipe (but I
don't conform to directions very often!) is in Commonsense Scottish
Cookery by Gordon Hay.

Bubbly non-alcoholic drinks (whatever your region calls them -
everyone seems to have a different word) - I have noticed that some
mineral springs produce quite a fizzy water straight from the ground,
so have never seen a problem with bringing artificially carbonated
stuff.  Sure it's a bit more fizzy than the natural stuff I've seen,
but give it 5 minutes and it won't be.

Cairistiona

Dr. Ian van Tets
Dept. of Zoology
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701 RSA

ph: +27 +21 650 3641 (w), 650 3301 (fax), 47 5324 (H)