SC - Badges, we need stinkin . . . (was Salamanders)

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Sat Sep 20 03:29:48 PDT 1997

Greetings all.

Sorry about the change in subject headings, I receive the digest and get
rather confused.

Stefan wrote:
> I save it for deep-frying. You can use it a number of times, > depending
on what you're frying.

There was rather a scare in this country (South Africa) a year or so ago
about re-used frying fat in fast food places - apparently re-using it too
often causes it to break down in such a way that it becomes carcinogenic.
(OK, I'm an English major, not a chemist - I fear I have no recollection of
the actual process).  Anyone know if this is urban legend or what?

Second query, re all the rabbit recipes.  This has bothered me for a while.
That lovely illustrated Medieval Cookbook by Maggie Black has a note to a
picture (p. 29) that says rabbits were imported into Britain by the Normans.
Does anyone know if this is actually the case, and it's only hares that were
actually native to Britain, or was it simply a different species that the
Normans brought in?
(Mere idle curiosity - rabbit is not really commercially available in these
parts, and hare is certainly not).

For the record, I'm a PhD English student at the University of Cape Town,
working in modern fairy-tale and teaching part-time.  Melesine de Huguenin
is a lady of Norman extraction living in Britain in the late 1300s,
thrice-married and currently administering her husband's lands after he was
crippled in the French wars.  She's interested in costuming and dance as
well as cooking, and has a smattering of heraldry.  As I'm a rather
inexperienced Mistress of Arts to this new and very inexperienced Shire, I'm
de facto interested in anything else anyone wants to learn about, too.  This
list has been a wonderful resource.

In service,

Melesine

Jessica Tiffin