SC - Held up feast

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Mon Sep 22 05:52:48 PDT 1997

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>
> > If I remember correctly, there are some recipes in Giacosi's (?) A
> Taste
> > of Ancient Rome, where she uses broccoli where the recipe
> translation is
> > "young cabbage".
> >
> > Bear
>
> I'd bet anything that reference is actually to Brussels sprouts.

That would have been my thought, too.  I'm not a gardener, but I'm
finding it interesting that they're "currently" recommending not to pick
Brussels sprouts until after the first frost.  I read that in a medieval
source long before I saw it in a modern one.  <grin>

Rosalinde
- --
Rosalinde De Witte/Donna Kenton * donna at dabbler.com *
http://www.dabbler.com/