SC - eastern european fare

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 22:34:51 PST 1998

At 8:39 AM +0800 12/7/98, Matthew Legge wrote:

 I was browsing the recipes of the cookbooks and was
>trying to convert the measurements to metric when I found that there are
>two different sets (at least) of pound weights and matching volume measures
>in use today. Which one should I use? The one where 2.2 pounds = 1kg or the
>other one?

In the US, weights are almost always avoirdupois; troy is used for precious
metals and not much else. So a kg is 2.2 lbs, and there are 16 ounces to
the pound. A gallon contains four quarts, each of two pints, and a pint of
water weighs about a pound.

If you happen to be working with medieval Islamic recipes, it is worth
knowing that "ratl" and "uqiya," sometimes translated "pound" and "ounce,"
are from a system with 12 ounces to a pound, which I think is also true of
the troy system.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/