SC - 1st try at recipe

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 5 22:22:55 PST 1998

> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:06:23 -0800
> From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Period Pasta recipes...

> This looks like an interesting one to try, but I don't know if I can find
> hare.  Have you ever tried hare?  If so, does it taste like rabbit; or what
> would you recommend substituting for it?  I ask because I notice that in
> the period cookbook, there are separate and different recipes for hare and
> cony (rabbit).
>
> Elizabeth/Betty

I've eaten hare a couple of times, but never cooked it myself. Bearing
in mind the proviso that most of the "game" animals I have easy access
to are in fact farm animals (including venison, rabbits, etc.), the
extreme likelihood is that for a purpose like this hares and coneys are
pretty much interchangable. Now I'm sure there would be noticable
differences between wild samples of the two critters, since their habits
in the wild aren't the same. Another aspect to be considered is
presentation: hares are larger, and a roast loin of hare looks like
something. Maybe not too much, but it has considerably greater impact
than the same portion of a rabbit cooked similarly. As I say, in this
dish, with the meat picked off the bones, it's probably pretty much the
same.

With regard to the flavor, the closest comparison I can draw is to pork
tenderloin. Fairly white in color (some people claim it is more like
veal, but it has a finer, closer texture more like pork or chicken) and
with a rich, sweetish flavor. Doesn't taste a bit like veal, to me. And,
like pork tenderloin, it has a tendency to dry out if you're not
careful, in that it mostly lacks both substantial connective tissue and
fat, both of which contribute to the element of moisture.

I'll be using rabbits when I do this dish in May for EK Crown Tourney,
and simply call it Coneys in Papdele.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com