SC - Holiday Greetings

Tyrca Tyrca at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 08:11:44 PST 1998

<<
 We do the bag and feed the starving college student thing (sometimes I even
 take stuff home) but when I brought up the soup kitchen idea that was the
 response I got. I'll be checking into it personally I assure you. People
 shouldn't go hungry in this country.

 Corwyn >>

Ok, I have been following this discussion for a couple of days, and I think I
begin to see the problem.  I think what is going on is the difference between
a Food Bank, which stockpiles non-perishables, and a Soup Kitchen, which feeds
anyone who is at the table.  Soup kitchens are always eager to get food of
almost any sort.  After our Protectorate feast a year ago, there were several
Beef Roasts, Roast Chickens, and Loves of Bread.  I was a happy recipient of
bounty, but there was much more than I could squeeze in my tiny freezer.  So
we packed up a sack with some meat, bread, and some donated canned goods, and
we drove it over to the county "Food For Friends" project in town.  Norman is
about 70,000 people, we sit on a major freeway between large cities (I-35) and
have a University.  There are Homeless people, and hungry chhildren of
students that benefit from some of this.  They happily took our donations, and
asked that we not forget them.

Bear, maybe you remember better what was left over, I think it was your feast
produced in that tiny field kitchen at Protectorate XX.

Tyrca