SC - Mushroom Pasties

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jan 21 07:10:44 PST 1998

And it came to pass on 20 Jan 98, that Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote,
replying to someone:

> > 2.  The recipe for coq-au-vin leads me to believe it is plausibly period
> > due to its lack of new world veggies.  Did cooks use wine to cook with in
> > the Middle Ages or was it reserved solely for beverage?  Yes I know
> vinegar
> > was used but I am really interested in whether potable wine was used
> > regularly.

[snip]
> And I can't think of a single non-beverage
> recipe right now that uses wine (until you get to Chiquart, but he's
> pushing the "medieval" envelope.

I just glanced at my copy of Taillevent, who's 14th century, and
quite a few of his pottages contain wine.  Skimming through _An
Ordinance of Pottage_, I see various recipes with wine, including
meat recipes.  _Traite de Cuisine_ (c. 1300) has recipes with wine,
too.  However, I agree that there don't seem to be any recipes that
contain meat or poultry with veggies other than onions.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net