SC - Badinjan Muhassa

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 06:41:53 PDT 1998

By this point in the butchering, about all you have left of the hog should be
the skin and fat,   Actually they are the first to go.  It is easiest to
remove the skin and fat in strips while the carcass is still hanging.  Slice
strips about 2 to 3 inches wide in the skin and use a very sharp knife to help
pull and peel the fat and skin from the entire carcass, except the hams.

The two strips from around the belly incision can be reserved for the pot
meat.  Cut the rest of the strips into pieces about 1/2 inch wide.  Place into
a large cast iron pot together with perhaps a bit of water.  Place on a hot
fire, and stir constantly for an hour or more, until all the fat is rendered.
Strain through cheesecloth into sanitized metal or plastic tubs.  Seal and
store at room temperature for up to one year.  A 100 lb. pig usually makes 3
to 5 gallons of lard.

PORK CHITTERLINGS (CHITLIN'S)

Never eat chitterlings you have not cleaned yourself!

Remove the stomach and intestines from the carcass.  Separate the stomach from
the intestines.  Carefully drain the contents into an offal pit.  (A hog was
generally starved for a day or two before butchering to help with this
process.)  The stomach (known as the "Maw") should be split open and rinsed
thoroughly three or four times, then the inner lining should be scraped
repeatedly until all the green and brown slime is removed, then rinsed several
more times.  Carefully rinse the intestines several times.  Turn them inside
out and treat the same.

To cook, boil in salted water until tender.  Drain.  Dredge with flour, salt,
and pepper.  Deep fry.  DELICIOUS!

Of course, there are many things more I could discuss, such as pickling pig
feet, and making souse meat, but I think I don't want to burn anybody out on
the subject.  I have given you a lot of info to digest........enjoy!

Mordonna