SC - Re: To be or not to be...an allergy

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jul 23 06:50:01 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/22/98 2:00:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

<< Does anyone know if this is a parasite confined to this continent, or may
this
 be a reason for a universal "season"?  Is it possible that the people of the
 era knew of the effects of eating small game killed at this time of the year?

Certainly hunting was done. Forestry laws and hunting regulations during the
Middle Ages is an entire study in itself. Even circumstantial evidence such as
Pictures in almanacs and books of hours clearly indicate seasonal hunting.
Man's culture was based for several millions of years on hunting. It doesn't
take much thought to figure out if you kill all the animals this year you'll
have few or none next year. Forestry laws and hunting regulations during the
Middle Ages is an entire study in itself

Certainly hunting was done. . We should remember, however, that pigs,
chickens, ducks, geese, and cows were not the only domestic animals raised
during the Middle Ages. Rabbits, pigeons, and carp must also be recognized.
Virtually every monestery and convent had a fish pond and castles and manor
houses were outfitted with pigeon lofts when they ere contructed. I would
suspect that the vast majority of rabbits consumed were from domestic sources.

IMO, the existence of rabbit fever in wild rabbits, if it were even known
about, would not have have been a major influence in setting rabbit seasons.
Rabbits are carriers of several parasites. These parasites tend to proliferate
during warm months with the cycle being completed by late summer. This all
boils down to rabbits taken in warm weather are often "filled with worms".
That is the reason that I normally take rabbits only in the fall and cooler
months.

Ras (spelled A'aql)