SC - Are creations period?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jun 15 05:58:23 PDT 1998

Ok, here it is -- my first real redaction, so please be kind.

For those who missed the original recipe I posted previously, here is is
again, from the Complete Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace:

To Butter Potato Roots

Take the roots & bole them in water, till the bee verie soft, then peele them
& slice them, then put some rosewater to them and sugar & the pill of an
orenge, & some of the iuice of the orenge, and so let them boile a good while,
then put some butter to them, & when the butter is melted serve them. This way
you may bake them, but put them unboiled into the paste.

Here is what I ended up using:

1 large white rose potato, about 12 ounces
2  T. orange juice
1 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. dried orange peel
3 T. rosewater
1 T. white sugar
4 T. butter

What I did:

First, I did not have a fresh orange and I figured that Eleanor (as I call
her) was probably referring to a bitter orange rather than a sweet one, so I
constructed my orange by mixing the orange and lemon juices and then
reconstituting the dried peel in the juice. (Amounts are courtesy of the
equicalency table of the BH&G New Cookbook.) I let this soak while the potato
was boiling.

When the potato was "verie soft" I took it out of the water, peeled it and
sliced it. It mostly fell apart at this time.

I scraped it up and returned it to the pot. This is where the fun started. I
added the rosewater a spoonful at a time and it immediately became apparent
that no amount of liquid I could afford to add would allow the mixture to boil
a good while or any other period of time. So I put it over a low heat and
stirred in the rosewater, orange juice/peel and sugar. I added these a bit at
a time and tasted constantly. It turned out that I didn't use quite all of my
orange mixture.

I let the mixture get as hot has I could without burning (lots of stirring!)
then added the butter a tablespoon at a time.

The result was a pot of bright yellow, very creamy, faintly sweet mashed
potatoes -- and boy! were they good! They had a citrus-y tang and a heavenly
rose scent. The recipe made about 3 regular servings or 2 Renata servings (I
love mashies!) and the flavor really complimented the broiled pork steak
(seasoned with pepper, garlic, rosemary and marjaram) I served with it.

Your results may vary.

Renata