SC - Dining with Bill

Chris Adler Chris.Adler at westgroup.com
Tue Jun 30 14:14:00 PDT 1998

Right.  Thanks for reminding me.

Hallstatt is in the Salzkammergut near Salzburg, Austria.  Seems to me, the
Celtic archeology of the area dates from about 1000 BC, making it one of the
oldest sites found.  The salt was being mined at that time.

You can reach Munich by following the Inn out of the Salzkammergut and then
crossing the to the Danube.  However, why would Munich become the center of
the salt trade in 1158, when it is obvious the trade has been in existence
for 2000 years?

Hah, quick ref answer, Munich was founded in 1158.  It became the de facto
center of an already existing trade in Northern Europe.  The whole thing
makes me wonder if the monks weren't into salt distribution as well as beer.

If you come across any other salient saline facts on the European salt
trade, send them along.

Bear