SC -Gentle education, was Help thinking up a class...

cassie cassie at sally.nas.nasa.gov
Mon May 4 10:45:32 PDT 1998

The esteemed and lovely margali wrote:
>The only thing that really pops into my mind- when did garlic get into
>common use in the British Isles? I seem to think that onions were used
more
>often, being local and traditional with game birds...and the use of
garlic
>wasn't prevalent in W.W.II[my dad is here and he spent several months
there
>before the war, and again afterwards-the wonders of a military
career. I
>just asked him and he really doesn't remember garlic, but lots of
onions,
>parsley, marjoram, thyme, horseradish and pepper.]

My notes for "Early Medieval Ireland 400-1200" by Da/ibhi/ O/ Cro/ini/n,
says that both wild garlic and celery must be supplied to all sick
people, as much as they want.  (p 98) I think he said it was in the
Brehon Laws.

Conchobar

===
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
- -- Jason Kidd