SC - Allergy rant

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri May 8 09:57:02 PDT 1998

For those with no aversion to chemical additives, potassium
metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite will fit the bill quite nicely.
They re used in commercial wines as a sanitizer of fermented wines.
When the desired level of fermentation (specific gravity) is reached,
they add the sulfiting agent to kill the yeast (halting fermentation)
and to sanitize the product.  Let it stand loosely covered 24hrs, and
the sulfer dissipates.

I avoid this for two reasons 1) authenticity of product and 2)
allergic reactions to sulfites.  Adding chemicals to my meads/beers
cuts my viable audience substantially as many are sulfite sensitive (I
have a friend who almost died from them one time....severe sensitivity).

- ---Russell Gilman-Hunt <conchobar at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 09:39:04 EDT
> From: LrdRas <LrdRas at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: SV: SV: SC - peach mead?
> Lord Ras, eminent in his knowledge, glorious in his splendour, and
> fastidious in his taste wrote:
>
> >In a message dated 5/8/98 3:45:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >H940114 at stud.kol.su.se writes:
>
> > << OK, the sterilization thing was just a bad choice of word/slip of
> > > the mind. 30 mins at 65-70/160-170 sounds a lot to me,
> > but it's always best to play it safe. >>
>
> >SFAIK, there are NO known human pathonogens that can survive the
> >process of
> >fermentation as applied to wine, beer and mead making.
>
> What about something to kill the "bad yeasties" which might produce
> an unsensational taste treat?  I believe we were talking about pre-
> processing the ingredients for wine, beer and mead making.

SCA-Cooks".