SC - a wonderful culinary experience

MdePeyriac@aol.com MdePeyriac at aol.com
Fri May 29 19:01:31 PDT 1998

Margaret said
>Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 29-May-98 Alcohol bafflement
>[was SC .. by Micaylah at freenet.carleto
>> Not that alcohol is EXTREMELY important for me but its been years since I've
>> been to a dry event. I can't really fathom the theory behind the present day
>> reasoning of this? I would think that the powers that be that created these
>> laws prohibiting sale, consumption, etc would see that they would just be
>> promoting other illegal ways of obtaining alcohol. We are, after all, a
>> small AND resourceful world now!
>
>When I asked one site why the "no alcohol" policy, they answered that
>the insurance was too expensive for them to carry it.  This is very
>common in Western PA, where probably 2/3 of our events are at dry sites.

Alcohol is not THAT inmportant to an event but it sure is nice to sit down
to feast with a tankard of wine at my side. Ontarios'  alcohol law for
insurance is (I believe) $175 for the permit, which the insurance falls
under, and that the bartender has to attend a course on bartending (ie. how
to handle unruly drunken louts, the law, profit, etc.) and it costs as well.
Fortunately we sent one good gentle to this course and he now runs the bar
when we hold events.

Micyalah