SC - diffuser, was Cooking Frumenty

Jeff Botkins jbotkins at ime.net
Fri Nov 13 05:58:50 PST 1998

Allison said...
 Bend an unpainted wire coathanger into a
>four-armed star shape, and you've got one that's pretty close.  It just
>needs to keep the bottom of the pot from direct contact with the heat
>source.  The heat areas on my ceramic top are much hotter that regular
>electric coils--can't get a low simmer, much less a
>hot-but-not-even-bubbling-at-the-edges.  I'll have to find that diffuser.

Allison I have to disagree with you here.  A bent coat hanger is not, IMO,
a heat diffuser. Doesn't even come close. Perhaps a trivet of sorts.
Further, the coating used on even unpainted coat hangers, is quite toxic
(speaking from experience).  At any rate, the general description that
everyone seems to have is pretty par for the course. Mine is about 1/2"
high, very similar to two pie plates facing each other, with holes poked in
it. It is about 50 years old and made of some sturdy metal that can
withstand really really large full pots. Now if I could just find another
couple or so like it!!

Micaylah