SC - Apician Teriyaki Chicken 8-); and ostrich sauces

PhlipinA@aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 06:31:20 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/3/98 4:28:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Mordonna22 at aol.com
writes:

<<  Isn't corn flour oop? >>

Only if it refers to maize. Given the source of the original recipe I would be
more inclined to think that they are referring to a grain (e.g. corn in it's
original meaning) flour which makes perfect sense. One of the things I have
learned when dealing with European sources is that more times than not the
more accurate word maize is used when referring to the New World plant. The
vast majority of references which use the word 'corn' are almost without
exception refderring to the seeds of various grains excluding maize.

To US citizens this can be confusing but remember that , he in the USA and
other places many types of squash are refered to by the generic term instead
of zucchini, patty-pan, butternut, hubbard, etc. Other generic words found in
cooking literature would include pumpkin, poultry, game, etc. For the sake of
clarity, all maize varieties are corn BUT corn in the original sense of the
word includes all grains such as wheat, rye, etc.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.

Ras