SC - Thoughts on Food

TANTRALYA@aol.com TANTRALYA at aol.com
Sun Sep 13 18:06:06 PDT 1998

> Along similar lines, last year our son told us he wanted to go to a grown-up
> restaurant with his friends and family, for his birthday, and said he wanted
> steak. We looked into finding an affordable steak house (Peter Luger's,
> undisputably the best steak house on the planet, can get very pricy for a
> party of fifteen or so). We found a review from the New York Times on the Web,
> written by a relatively junior staff food writer. He wrote that he had
> encountered a bizarre but breathtaking appetizer that was exclusive to this
> restaurant's menu. It seems the dish was called a Blooming Onion, and was sure
> it would make a big hit when it caught on elsewhere in the country. He said it
> was prepared according to a mysterious and esoteric recipe, that he wouldn't
> go into in print, but he recommended a discussion with the manager, who would
> be happy to explain how it is done. For those who may not be up on this staple
> of nearly every steakhouse in the nation, it is a large Bermuda-type onion,
> cut partially through into wedges, soaked a bit in ice water until it
> separates into "petals" (this is commonly done with scallions in Chinese
> restaurants to make brushes for sauce), and then the whole thing is crumbed
> and deep fried, and eaten petal by petal, with a dipping sauce.

I assume you're talking about THE OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE which happens to be one of my
faves.  If I can find it, I have the recipie for the bloomin onion (spices and all)
around here somewhere.  I usually skip the sauce which is a ranch dressing.  Their
cheese froys are also the best, but I personally wish I could scam the recipie (the
spices they use) for the Shrimp on the Barbie appitizer.  Too Good for words!

Brenna