SC - Ave Maria runtime and sugar - long

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 24 08:27:22 PDT 1998

> Check out the last link on my website
> (http://members.tripod.com/~AoifeFinn/index.html), for the Beehive Oven

I certainly will.  I have a trailer body on which I am planning to build a
field oven, creating a more modern version of a field oven I have seen
depicted in a 15th Century painting.  I'm thinking of plastering the
exterior (like a horno) to produce a relatively waterproof oven.  With a
couple cords of aged pecan in the back yard, I should have a fun time.

> This weekend I will be testing the "baking in a huge kettle" theory (you
> know---the modern medieval myth of ancestors laying a board across the
> bottom and then using the kettle as an oven). That's if I can get someone
> to construct a wooden lid for my huge pot. We'll see. I'd appreciate any
> sources of descriptions of this method, should anyone happen to come
> across
> them. Frankly, I expect it will work just as well as any other method.

Check out Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery.  It has a
photograph and some comments about the Welsh using kettles supported on a
metal stand for baking in between oven days.  The more modern version looks
like a dutch oven on stilts, but I bet you can bake bread in a round bottom
kettle just as easily.  I'll also bet you don't need the board to bake a 2
to 4 pound cottage loaf.

> E-mail me privately if you wish more info, unless You-all want to hear
> this
> stuff at length. I seem to have collected a fair amount of primitive oven
> trivia in the ol' brain-pan, including construction techniques and how to
> bake over a fire *without* going through all that mud-slinging.

Public or private, I want to hear it.

> Warning: Be prepared for the kitchen area to be a high-traffic tourist
> area. Folks want to see the oven in all phases of building and operation.
> You might want to post a "no rubbernecking without volunteering" sign!
>
> Toodles
>
> Aoife

I don't know about Micaylah, but I don't expect a large crowd of sidewalk
superintendents.  I'm building my oven in the backyard in my own sweet time.
It might be fun to open it for business at the OU Medieval Fair in Norman,
OK, next spring.  But I am a lazy soul at heart, and I've just come off of a
week of hard labor.

	Bear