SC - Wegman's

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 9 22:25:47 PDT 1999

"Michelle Groulx" <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
>You don't have national grocery stores? Thats funny, here is Cda quite a
>few, if not most, of our food stores are national. Take for instance,
>Loblaws (Superstore here in the MidEast), LOEB, IGA, A&P (Red and White
>etc). But there are independant and smaller ones as well.

<snip>

>If you don't have national grocers, what takes the place of them for
>selection? Living near the border of the northeastern states I have heard of
>Wegmans before and even done some cross border grocery shopping (way fun).
>Given the population density of the States I am inclined to think that
>Wegmans, Winn Dixie and other chains of that size are fairly common place in
>the U.S. Yes?
>
>Micaylah

We have LARGE regional chain supermarkets. I know A&P is an American
company originally. When i was a kid in Chicago, we had the A&P. Another
big chain was the Jewel Tea. It's probably been merged into some other corp
by now?

One of the larger chains out west here is Safeway. It's in Northern
California and parts of Nevada (does it make it over the border to Oregon?)
and is a hugely rich and powerful corp. Believe me, selection isn't much of
a problem. Another large NoCal chain is Lucky (but they're sucky-you should
pardon the expression).

There are different chains in Southern Cal - i mentioned a couple in a
into parts of Nevada - does it go into Arizona too?

Isn't there a large chain in the south? mid-atlantic coast? called
Piggly-Wiggly? I love that name.

But i prefer to shop at locally owned businesses, because the produce and
nuts and such are all fresher and/or better quality than the prepack stuff
from the supermarkets. If i buy bean sprouts at the supermarket, they don't
keep longer than a day or two, but from the local small produce shop,
they're so much fresher and brighter and crisper and they'll keep a few
days longer.

One of the local health food stores is as big as a supermarket and is part
of an interstate chain. It has an excellent stock of loose herbs and spices
- - quite a bit fresher than the canned and bottled stuff from the
supermarket - and they have all sorts of wonderful, odd, and unusual things
that the corps don't pre-package - several different kinds of cardamom,
several differnt forms of cinnamon, annatto/achiote, etc. No kalonji, but
this town is full of Indian and Middle Eastern markets for things like that
and sumach.

But there's nothing like a 24-hour supermarket when i have desparate needs
in the dread of night (Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, Ben & Jerry's...)

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi
gotta go load up the camels tomorrow and head down to the soukh, looks like
i'm out of milk and coffee. You just can't get good camel drivers like you
used to...