SC - SC: feedback for menu, please!

Butterfield, Margaret msbutterfield at mail.aacc.cc.md.us
Tue Apr 20 09:46:00 PDT 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

<snip>
> If people want to put chocolate in their stew, or anything else along
> those lines, it's fine, and often yummy, but one might argue that
> they've left the realm of what can be legitimately called chili by
> Americans. Local variations might apply, but I'd be inclined to consider
> the method as used in the birthplace of the dish as we know it (i.e.
> Texas-style chili, rather than the Mexican stews similarly named, and
> often featuring pork, turkey or chihuahua) as the real McCoy.
>
> Hey, I don't make these rules, and often I don't even follow them, but
> that doesn't mean they don't exist ;  ) . I'm reporting the tradition as
> reported by Tolbert and many other sources. It could be worse. In
> Germany the Rheinheitsgebot was enforced as _law_ for centuries.

While I agree with everything you are saying, I can't help but wonder if
it really matters. I am not questioning this to discount or minimize
what you are saying, but trying to put it into perspective. What are
these "rules" you are quoting. I don't understand what you mean
entirely.

All in all, I figure people will cook something dependant on where they
live, knowledge of source or lack thereof, and call it Chili/Buffalo
Wings or Chinese food, whatever. I suppose that makes everyone right.

I am interested Adamantius, in this Rheinheitsgebot that was enforced as
"law" for centuries. Wassthat?

Micaylah