SC - RE: Cherry soup? Or cherry pudding?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 10:46:23 PDT 1999

>Courtesy of East Kingdom 12th Night, A.S. XXXI...
>
>Syrosye
>
>“To make a syrosye.  Tak cheryes & do out *e stones & grynde hem wel
&
>draw hem *orw a streynoure & do it in a pot.  & do *erto whit gres or
>swete botere & myed wastel bred, & cast *erto good wyn & sugre, &
salte
>it & stere it wel togedere, & dresse it in disches;  & set *eryn
clowe
>gilofre, & strew sugre aboue.”
>			Curye On  Inglysch, Book III, Utilis
Coquinario,  Ed. Constance B.
>Hieatt & Sharon Butler, Oxford University Press, Oxford 1985

This dish was one of the first "medieval" recipes I tried.  I came
across the recipe and a redaction somewhere early in my SCA
involvement, and cherries were in the stores right then.  The version
I saw had "mynced" wastrel bread, rather than "myed". Though the
redaction following interpreted crumbs and a soupy texture, I thought
that seemed obviously wrong because in my mind "mynced" was bread cut
into cubes and chunks. Also, I had seen grated bread elsewhere
interpreted as crumbs.  I made a bread pudding type of thing involving
stale bread cubes soaked in and stirred into the cherry liquid.  I
guess I could have mynced the cubes finer, I'll try that this year
when the cherries are in.  Perhaps if I'd had the benefit of the
entire book to make the comparisons Ras(?) was doing to the
surrounding recipes I wouldn't have thought of it as a pudding type
thing. On the other hand, the first attempt was so soupy that the
second time (for an SCA potluck) I used less cherries and dried the
chunks of bread in order for the dish to come out more puddingy.  I
guess I was fighting the dish to be what I expected instead of what it
is!

So, that's why getting a copy of the book is important to do this
redaction thing well, rather than working from individual recipes.
But the cherry bread pudding is lovely with cream poured over it!

Bonne