SC - Saffron

Butterfield, Margaret msbutterfield at mail.aacc.cc.md.us
Mon Apr 26 04:01:51 PDT 1999

Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> Anybody know how to extract musk? I've just run into a trapper who'll give
> me all his carcasses. Ras-ma-tas, can you say, "Muskrat Stew"?

Well, umm, actually, yes. I used to have ferrets that had not been descented,
and my male had to be "milked" on a fairly regular basis. Assuming the same
procedure as for a ferret (and relying on many years of fuzzy memory): Step 1 -
get gloves, a small bowl and a nose plug. Step 2 - wait for a day with enough
breeze that your nose can be upwind of your hands. Step 3 - feel for a small
lumpy gland right at the base of the tail. (once you have found one, it's easy
to recognize it again.) Step 4 - inhale and hold your breath. Step 5 - Gently
stroke and squeeze the gland with an outward motion. (and this is how you can
tell if you found it - if you get musk, you succeeded, if not, wrong lump.) Good
luck. :-)

~Maedb
of the many talents LOL