SC - Taffy

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Fri Feb 5 20:43:40 PST 1999

geneviamoas at juno.com writes:

<< Of the three, I think that bitter-sweet sauce made with
 arugula might be the most palatable & the safest.  Any thoughts or
 references to period cookbooks would be most welcome.
                     With thanks,    Antoine de Bayonne, mka Dan
 Gillespie" >>

Not having seen either the original nor a translation of the original recipe,
I my gut reaction is to say arugula sounds right.....HOWEVER, I would like to
point out safest is not a valid reason for ignoring the use of feverfew since
it has been used for centuries to treat headaches and migraines. More
importantly, feverfew is also somewhat bitter, which would seem to me to be a
plus for a what you describe as a bitter-sweet sauce. The most interesting
thing about feverfew is quote: "A scientific study of Feverfew was published
in the British medical journal The Lancet in 1988. The 72-person study showed
that two months of treatment with feverfew was associated with a reduction in
the average number and severity of migraine attacks experienced. A  REDUCTION
IN THE DEGREE  OF VOMITING during the attacks was also noted. There were no
serious side-effects reported in this study. ""

Hmmmmmm......

Ras