SC - Sumac?

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sun Jan 17 15:19:47 PST 1999

We had our event and feast yesterday here in Oakheart, and the feast
turned out really well. The feastocrats were really organized and served
a really delightfully meal. I did ask where they had found the recipes,
and was told that they were their own, but that they had used all period
ingredients.( Although Clam Chowder is my favorite, the cream based type,
especially from scratch, I have difficultly believing it's Norman French,
even Generic Norman French... but I degress... )

While I was overjoyed to see the lack of Hard boiled eggs in the shell
(old peeve), and to have dried apple slices, rasins, and rasin bread (as
well as the ever present cheddar and white cheese sticks) as the first
course. I was first delighted and then greatly frustrated to find on the
first course board - walnuts . . . in their shells. Without nut
crackers.(new peeve) Maybe these manly fighter types can crack walnuts
with their bare hands, but I can't. I did manage to open the first one by
placing it under my boot heel and stepping down (while sitting down as
not to attract attention), but the second one skittered across the floor.
Fortunately, we had the lights off, and were eating by candle light, so
no one noticed my lack of etiquette.
<sigh>

Beatrix
Oakheart/Calontir