SC - 14th Century Food

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 20 06:51:12 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/20/99 12:22:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<<  It makes more sense to me to put the dessore in
 a covered dish.  Would a skin form on the surface as it cooled, as in
 pudding, because there's wheat starch in it?    Anybody else have an idea
 on either one? >>

Sounds to me like a covered dish is more logical also.

Regarding the formation of a  skin over the top of the finished dish, both
rice flour and wheat starch form a skin when used as a thickener. On another
note, it appears that rice flour is the preferred thickening agent in the
recipe since 'other amydoun'  means 'or else amydoun'. The only reason that I
mention this is that you seem to indicate that wheat starch is an actual
ingredient along with the rice flour rather than it being an alternative
thickening agent.

BTW, this recipe makes a very nice pudding if you like such things, which I
do. My only problem in serving it is figuring out what would go with it. Any
ideas?

Ras