SC - Fish soup/stew

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jul 26 22:01:51 PDT 1999

Adamantius answered my questions about the boiled garlic dish (Aquapatys)
in part with:

> > About the only change I made was to sprinkle them with ground dill seed
> > and garlic salt instead of garnishing with fresh parsley, which I
> > didn't have. Next time, I plan to try the Powder Forte mix I got from
> > the Pepper's Guild instead of the spices given.
>
> Cool! The original dish, BTW, uses no separate garnish on top. Sass's
> suggested use of parsley was presumably her own idea; if you're going to
> do that your idea is as good as hers. If I were going to be critical of
> less-than-period practice (and I'm not) I'd have to say you were in
> fairly good company.

But would the garnishes of a dish be mentioned? Are there a number of
recipes that say something like "and garnish as you wish with good herbs"
or whatever? Are there really that many modern recipes that specify
garnishes, particularly at the "professional" level?

It really isn't a very impressive dish by itself, just a few garlic
cloves coated in a light covering of sauce sitting in a bowl. I get
the impression that the upper class medieval folks preferred decorated
foods vs. simple ones. How would they have dressed such a dish up?
Served it with something else? What would you suggest to fancy this
dish up a little?

This dish was for a pot luck/sideboard. I think it did very well this
way. With the addition of some non-period wooden toothpicks, it could
serve as a finger food.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: