SC - Recipes for period Bear Meat to be used in

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 19:17:54 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/9/99 12:12:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, nanna at idunn.is
writes:

<< Luquam?>>

Nope. Luqam (but close enough). :-)

<<Then it is indeed Lokma (Greek name Loukmades; some of you may be
 familiar with that). Lokma means small sweet, mouthful or something like
 that. >>

I wouldn't be surprised at all. The Celts did extensive trade in the
Mediterranean area, IIRC. And there are assorted theories regarding the
Celt/Greek relationship because of a similarity in things like graphic
design, etc.

<<But all the recipes I have are for a thick batter that is left to
 stand until doubled, >>

Without too much imagination the Luqam recipe might be able to be interpreted
as a very thick batter, I suppose. The instructions do say to 'take' off
pieces which I chose to interpret as 'pulling' but would work just as well if
teaspoonfuls were taken and dropped into the fat. Since I don't have access
to the original language and do not know how to contact Charles Perry to ask
for possible alternative translations, I cannot know the possibilities here.

<<then spooned into hot oil and fried, then soaked in
 honey or syrup.>>

This is clearly in line with the recipe that I posted. The thing that we have
to remember here is that the recipe that I posted dates from 1226 CE. IIRC,
you said something about the Lokma recipe possibly dating from 1000 CE? If so
this could indicate cross cultural Greco/Celt influence as well as Byzantium
influence on Islamic neighbors or  vice versa.

Since I have not had success in getting any cooperation at my end on finding
someone to help with the 10th century CE Arabic cookery manuscript that
Cariadoc has listed as a 'project' to be done on his web site, I don't know
if that manuscript contains a similar recipe. I am thrilled with this
knowledge and look forward to any other collaborating bits that might appear.
At least my theory regarding possible Middle Eastern influence on the
barbaric cooking practices of the North, with regards at least to the wealthy
or the court, has another piece added to the tapestry, that I am weaving.

Thank-you so much for this information! :-)

 <<Nanna >>

In humble respect,
Yours in Service to the Dream and the Kingdom of Aethelmearc,
al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Rashid al-Zib