SC - Re: upholstery

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Aug 10 11:57:31 PDT 2000

> > > Okay... Drambuie cheesecake!  Any takers?
> >
> >  MEMEMEME!  Two great tastes that taste great together, or so I imagine.
> > Maybe
> >  for that Cordial Tasting Party I'm hosting at Potrero, hmmmMMM?  Nobody
> sez  it has to be served in a cup!
> >

> I'm thinking: Mini Drambuie Cheesecakes (baked in muffin tins or papers),
> with a "thumbprint" indentation in the top... Fill the indentation with
> Drambuie just before serving?  Is Drambuie period??  How about a period
> cordial instead?

Sounds messy.  I'm checking out the official Drambuie website
<http://www.drambuie.com> for history, one moment please... The short is answer
is "not documentably period" -- but who cares?  <hic!>   Here's the official
party line, which smacks a bit of marketing hype but here it is:

A Noble Liqueur

Drambuie is chronicled as being the personal liqueur of
Prince Charles Edward Stewart, who raised the Jacobite
standard at the rallying of the clans in Glenfinnan and is
better remembered as Bonnie Prince Charlie, who in 1745 led
an ill-fated attempt to overthrow the reigning Hanovarian
family and reinstate the Stuart succesion.

The March to England

After initial success, when his army marched
into England as far south as Derby, bad
weather and hesitancy among his followers
conspired to make him retreat to Scotland

Defeat at Culloden

On Culloden Moor, in April 1746, the Jacobites were massacred by a larger and
better
organised Government Army commanded by the Duke of Cumberland. The defeated
Prince 'took to the heather' with a few staunch supporters, eventually reaching
the Isle
of Skye.

A Treasure as Reward

Wishing to reward Captain John MacKinnon of Strathaird
for his loyalty The Prince gave him his only remaining
possession - the treasured secret recipe for his personal
liqueur, the liqueur that is known as Drambuie.

Producing the Liqueur

160 years later, in 1906, Malcolm MacKinnon came to
Edinburgh and decided to produce the liqueur for the public
at large. Such was the spread of popularity that in 1911
Drambuie was accepted into the cellars of Buckingham
palace and the Houses of Parliament

The Spread of Popularity

In the first year of its production a mere
ten cases were sold, but the spread of
popularity was such that, in 1911
Drambuie became the first liqueur to be
accepted into the cellars of the
Buckingham Palace and the Houses of
Parliament.

Today Drambuie is sold in over 200
countries worldwide, and is available on
over 100 airlines. It has firmly
established itself as the world's favourite
liqueur.

Selene here again.  Nosing elsewhere in the Drambuie web site, in the "Drambuie
Lifestyle" pages, I see that they also sponsor the Scottish Chefs Association
[SCA].  <snerk>

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net