SC - Chef!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 10 21:45:03 PST 2000

> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << From "The Year 1000" by Robert Lacey & Danny Danziger: >>
>
> Neither Lacey nor Danziger were historians. They were writers. Almost all of
> the information they give is based on poems, prayers or  plays. Their
> pronouncements are supposition and theory. Their extensive bibliography is
> riddled with secondary  and tertiery sources. All in all a good read with
> many grains of salt.
>
> Ras

And I gave you the footnotes that were referred to in the sections I
quoted.
One of those was a Ann Hagen's book. In other sections they give
referances to
period accounts. So their book is not just founded on secondary and
tertiery sources. Or is the only period resource you will accept a
written
recipe? What about contemporary accounts? While all period accounts can
be subject to errors, if you really think they are wrong, you can read
them
yourself. I quoted from Ann Hagen's book because that was what I had
available
to me.

Yes, I happen to disagree with a number of Lcey and Danziger's statments.
However, in this case I was not giving you a general bibliography but
specifically the book they were referring to in the section I quoted.
I then quoted from the book they referanced.

It is my understanding that Ann Hagen is a well respected writer in the
area of Anglo-Saxon life. I notice that she gave four footnotes in the
material I quoted. I forgot to include these, but if it is desired I
will post them.

You are always asking for proof. Then when given some proof you've
ridiculed the referances without considering the material itself. Please
present any material you have to back *your* statements. In the meantime,
I will see if I can get my hands on the rather scholarly, technical
papers that Ann Hagen referances.

I quoted just from Ann Hagen's summary. She has a whole chapter on
the Anglo-Saxon pig including records on their breeds and sizes. I
didn't think the list really wanted me to quote sections from the
whole chapter.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net