SC - Cracklins? We don't need no stinkin' cracklins!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 18 22:18:43 PST 2000

Elizabet said:
> I alos have questions about a couple of things and would appreciate any =
> suggestions
>
> 'Sixth Course. Pears and comfits, medlars and peeled nuts ..........'
> 'Sixth Course and last course for Issue. Sugared flawns and larded milk, =
> peeled nuts, cooked pears, and comfits'
> 'third course...........fruit, clarry, pastries, medlars, peeled nuts.'
>
> What are likely to be the peeled nuts? (someone hopefully asked if this =
> could include roast chestnuts)=20

You might want to check this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
nuts-msg          (49K) 12/16/99    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.

> In the first example are the pears likely to be cooked? Would the =
> medlars be cooked? How would the pears and medlers be cooked?
>
> Fruit occured a couple of other times as well. What is it likely to be =
> and is it likely to be cooked?

And perhaps these files also:
fruits-msg       (158K) 12/20/99    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
fruit-pears-msg   (19K) 10/11/99    Period pears and pear recipes.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net