SC - Manual de mujeres #51,52,55,58-60

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 14:52:27 PDT 2000

Morgan Cain wrote:

> Does the kvas-concentrate recipe use raisins to test the fermentation?  I
> have one in a translated-from-Russian cookbook (starts with toasted or
> dried-out black bread) that included three raisins in the ingredients.
> Curious, I read on, and learned that when the bubbles are strong enough to
> float them, the kvas is considered ready to drink.

Interesting. The kvass recipe that I've used, which calls for a dough
made of ground malt (yes, I think it's in the Florilegium) calls for a
couple of raisins _in each bottle_. I assumed, since there are earlier
English bottled ale recipes that call for raisins in the bottles as a
form of priming sugar, that they were for carbonation. In the case of
bottled beverages, I'm not sure how well the floating thing works, since
the CO2 is dissolved and, for the most part, not stored in the form of
bubbles of free gas, until you open the bottle.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com