SC - Escargot

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 21 08:16:35 PST 2000

Greetings from Lady Elizabeth Hawkwood of Elfsea.

I have done meat pies for feast (several days ahead - some
were frozen, some were refrigerated) and had no problem
with the bottom crust being soggy. All the pie dough was
made from "scratch."  (Food processor yielded a tougher
dough, mixing by hand was much softer/flakier.)  I never
oil the bottom of the pan, but I sometimes dust it with flour.

When I do meat pies at home for dinner, I use a cake pan
with straight sides instead of the slanted side pie pan. This
works great, too, and I've never had a soggy bottom - only
nice slices which can be held in the hand.

Perhaps it's the length of time spent baking?  And, if the
meat mixture is not too soupy.

/Ly Elizabeth