SC - Ancient Maya Diet

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Oct 24 09:59:05 PDT 2000

So, in checking out the encyclopedia entries that Bear sent, I find that
bitterns are marsh birds, much like the cranes and herons that they seem
to be served with.  So, it looks like the second course is specifically
fowl, first water fowl and then flatland birds (I'm guessing a snit is
grouped in with the partridge and woodcocks for similar reasons, that it
is a bird that has similar habitats and/or hunting methods), and then the
baked capon is mentioned separately.

> The cranes and the heirons, the bitteres by ther side,
> The pertriches and the plovers, the woodcokes and the snit,

Christianna