SC - Dormice WAS: period dishes for Ari

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Sep 26 10:30:13 PDT 2000

> The difference you perceive between the use of the term "period" on this
> list and the average Scadian use of the term is we tend to use "period" to
> mean "accurately pre-17th Century" or "a space of time" while the general
> Scadian usage is "authentic," which ain't necessarily so.

Argh. No, that's not what I meant.

I mean that when someone from this list talks about the periodness of x,
they are talking about a particular reconstruction of a particular recipe
of a dish: they are speaking as if the dish in question was in front of
them, already prepared. 'We have no particularly documentable sources for
reconstructing the period method of cooking a roast north american
turkey, therfore we cannot cook a rasted north american turkey in a
documentably period manner that we can feel comfortable is within the
bounds of accuracy".

However, when someone says a particular food is or is not period, the
average person will understand them to say, "this food was not served in
period'.

Which is going to lead to confusion among those who are not using the
specific shorthand usage of the cooks' list.

Am I making sense yet?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."