SC - Non-member submission - RE: Special needs

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Apr 17 05:25:20 PDT 2001

> > Sorry, bud, rabbits are lagomorphs, not bovines. (No hooves, for one
> > thing...)
>
> Ok, what is a "lagomorph"?

European/domestic rabbits, hares, cottontails, and pikas are lagomorphs.

>Are all hooved animals bovines? Or just
> some? For instance, is a horse a bovine?

A quick search of the reference books reveals: Only animals of the genus Bos are bovines
(cattle, buffaloes, etc.), properly speaking. However, in general usage is sometimes
expanded to mean animals of the family Bovidae, which includes sheep and goats as well.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net