[Sca-cooks] Haggis: [Fwd: News of the Weird]

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sun Aug 19 06:46:13 PDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:39:57 -0400 "Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy"
<troy at asan.com> writes:

>. While I don't consider myself a real authority on the subject, I will
state that
>none of the dozens of haggises I have encountered myself have been gray,

>and I would pit my experience against the non-experience of the
>urban-legend-spreading journalists any day, canned-haggis aberrations
>notwithstanding.

    So what is good haggis like?  I had some at the Richmond Highland
games and Bleeaahh!  I happen to love scrapple, although I haven't had
any in years, and that was wonderfully spiced.  The haggis had all the
qualities I despise in oatmeal:  bland, glutinous and heavy.  If it had
been spiced a bit, I would have enjoyed it, and from scotch eggs to
scones, the rest of the food at that fair is fantastic ... well maybe not
the deep-fried Mars bars, but then I've never worked up the intestinal
fortitude to try those ...

    Elizabeth