[Sca-cooks] Home from Pennsic also + upcoming feast stuff

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 09:35:03 PDT 2001

Saluti!

Well I am also back from my first Pennsic and had a brilliant time. Am
currently very groggy from the jetlag however.

It was nice to finally meet some of the voices behind the words, and talk to
you all face to face. I didn't get to the Potluck till halfway through and
only ended up bringing melon and grapes - I was going to make the recipe
from Apicius with Melon marinated in vinegar, honey, pepper and asafoetida -
minus the asafoetida, which I didn't have. Before going off to a class I
informed people the melon wasn't for general consumption, and they were
actually still intact when I got back. However, one of the cooks thought the
marinade was rubbish and had thrown it out! Argh. What a waste of good
blackberry honey. Some days you just can't win!

Anyway, thank you SPCA for the warm hospitality and delicious duck dinner -
apologies for not making it down again, but I was rushed off my feet between
the classes, unexpected-sister-arrival, other social engagements and retinue
duties. I particularly enjoyed the bee song and look forward to spending
more time with you again.

Thanks for the boiled peanuts Christianna, they were very more-ish! Sorry I
didn't get to come have ribs with you and Damon - maybe next time? (probably
in 2003 or 2004, but definitely I'll be coming back!)

Thanks also, Stefan, for the hay bale mattress idea. It was perfectly
comfortable, and I only had a sore back a couple of mornings, a huge
improvement on air mattresses and foam sleeping rolls.

Now that I'm home, I have to cook a feast on the 1st of September for our
Shire's annual Lammas Festival, and for which I am hurriedly doing the test
cooking. All the recipes are taken from "Forme of Curye", which is not my
usual culinary option, but is proving quite interesting to do redactions
from. The current menu is Course 1: Chyches, Tart in ymbre day, Hares in
Papdele and bread; Course 2: Roast Wild Boar, Galyntyne Sauce, Gaunceli for
Gees Sauce, Pynnonade, Benes yfryed and Synoches yfryed; Course 3: Rysshews
of Fruyt, Comfits, Nuts and Digestive (and highly alcoholic) Liqueurs - the
latter of which were produced by my best friend Meesha de Valence and I
under the name The Wrecked Angle Brewery (a pun we're rather proud of <gr>)

That said, if anyone has any advise on roasting wild boar, it would be most
appreciated.

Anyway, it's good to be back onlist, and I hope those of you who caught the
lurgy at Pennsic will be feeling well soon,

Ciao
Lucrezia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
mailto:thorngrove at yahoo.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers"
- Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.