[Sca-cooks] Masque Ball::REC::CELTIC SHORTBREAD

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 14:04:30 PDT 2001

CELTIC SHORT BREAD

1 cup butter -- softened
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups flour
Preheat the oven to 300° F.
Cream the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.
 Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
Add the flour, 1/3 cup at a time, until a soft dough is formed. (Do not
overbeat!)
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rounds are just firm to the touch.
Yield: 16.

'Gastel'-Honey Shortbread - From Anglo-Saxon Food.  I made this
with whole wheat pastry flour, ground hazelnuts, honey and butter.  It
came out way too short, very dry and crumbly.  I took a little mead and
honey and mixed it with some warm water, and poked holes into the stuff
and let it soak in.  This helped a lot, but not really enough.  It was my
one real failure, and it still was ok.

Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone
else.
          – Judy Garland