[Sca-cooks] Disturbing item from the CIA

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 08:41:06 PDT 2001

Heh. That sounds like one of those
hoax warnings or something.

But what it really relates to is a
show I saw on PBS this weekend hosted
by the Culinary Institute of America.
They were doing traditional foods of
Italy and one of the dishes was a
moulded rice and pasta timbale.

It looked like a wonderful dish where
rice mixed with egg and cheese was pressed
into a bowl and then the hollow was filled
with a ziti/meat/tomato sauce mixture and
then baked.

Very pretty and tasty looking. But once the
chef had presented the dish he made the statement
"A dish exactly like was served over 1000 years
ago." Um....excuse me? Not only was the tomato
sauce a major giveaway but I haven't seen anything
like a timbale in any corpus. And how old is ziti?

I would have hoped an institution as respected as
the CIA would have better information.

Ah well.

Gunthar