[Sca-cooks] Yucca and Plantain Recipes

Renaissance Girls rennaisancegirls at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 11:56:09 PDT 2001

Hello all!
I had a wonderful person here on the list ask me about
some plantain recipes and Yucca, and I thought I would
post them for everyone if they're interested.  These
are authentic Cuban recipes, originally from my
great-great grandmother, and I was wondering if anyone
has any information about how far back these could
possibly be.

I don't have exact measurements, as you know how home
cooking is, a pinch of this, etc.  I tried my best to
put down the most accurate measurements I could!

YUCCA
Peel the yucca and boil it like a potato until it's
tender.
FOR THE DRESSING:
In a separate pan add approximately 1/4 cup cooking
oil (vegetable, olive, etc.)3-4 cloves of garlic,
peeled and crushed.
Salt to taste
Saute this until it just begins to turn tan, (watch
very closely that it does not turn even a bit brown!)
Take 1/2 a lemon and squeeze over the hot, drained
Yucca.
Immediately pour the oil/garlic mixture over the
Yucca.

This is WONDERFUL!
_________

TOSTONES
(Fried green plantains)
Cut them about 1/2", and soak for a bit in warm water,
salt and garlic (powder or crushed).
Fry in oil, each side until golden brown.
Remove from the oil and place on a brown bag.
Taking them individually, put another brown bag over
them, and "squish" with a small cutting board.
Return to the fry pan again and fry briefly each side.

Remove and drain.  Sprinkle with salt and serve hot!

MARIQUITAS
(Fried green plantains)
These are also made from the green plantains, they are
cut thinner, and are just fried once, and not
squished.  (do not soak these, just salt them
afterwards)

PLATANITOS FRITOS
(Fried black plaintains)
These are made when the plantain skin has turned
black.  Yes, they will look like they are rotten, but
the key to these is to wait until they are completely
black.  This ripening makes them sweeter.
For these, you cut them on the diagonal and fry them
on each side until golden.  These burn easier, so
watch closely. (do not soak these either).
These are very sweet, and are very delicious.
GREAT with pork dishes.
In a pinch, you can even make these from green (not
yet ripe) bananas.

----------------------
BOILED PLANTAINS:
Wait until the green plantains turn yellow, or black.
Cut them about 2" thick with the skin ON.
Boil them in water until they are very tender inside.
Then drain, and peel and eat them.
This makes them sweet.
These can be added to vegetable soups or meat stews.
My personal favorite is in chicken soup.

---------------------------
GREEN PLANTAIN SOUP
(After I wrote this, I got such a craving for it, that
after I send this off I'm going to go get some
plantain and make this!!!)
Take chicken or beef stock (10 cups)
Take a green plantain and make Mariquitas (above).
approximately 2 plantains to 10 cups of stock.
Take the stock and put into a blender.
Put the mariquitas in with the broth, little by little
until you get a thick consistency (like a pea soup
consistency)and blend until smooth.
Add a bit of crushed garlic and fresh squeezed lemon
juice to taste.

YOU MUST TRY THAT SOUP RECIPE!!!!

ROPA VIEJA
If you use beef stock, take the beef and shred it
(from making the homemade stock).
Put into a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt,
garlic, 1 can tomato sauce, onions and green peppers
and cook until all tender.
This is called "ROPA VIEJA" (means literally "old
clothes", or the english translation "old rags", which
refers to the shredding of the meat looking like old
rags.

Hope you don't think I'm too forward passing them on
to the list!
If you have any specifics on the recipes, send them my
way, and I will do my best to help out!

Happy cooking!
Estrella!

=====