[Sca-cooks] beets

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 29 22:47:35 PDT 2001

Lady Olwen the Odd asked:
> Hi all.  I was looking through some cookbooks last night in search of any
> ideas for our 13th century feast.  In Waverly Root I saw that beets are way
> early, probably pre-period.  It seems they mostly used the greens.  Anyone
> have any period/oid ideas or recipes we could try?

Did you look in the Florilegium? :-)

In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
beets-msg         (63K)  8/ 2/01    Period beet roots and beet greens. Recipes.

> I am also wondering about brie.  I have a fish and brie tart recipe I think
> could possibly work with the right spices.

I'm not sure what you are asking about brie. That is one of the cheeses
commonly used in Digby's Savory Tosted Cheese, but that is quite a bit
past the 13th century.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net