[Sca-cooks] Food question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 4 12:38:08 PDT 2001

Elizabeth asked:
>    If there's Anyone out there besides me not going to Pennsic ...

Well I am, but not until Monday.

>     I have goat to experiment with for a demo Manx Camp is doing in
> October.  Other than the use of goat to make rock crystal softer ...  I
> have not seen or read too much about it.  Ann Hagen talks about it in the
> second Anglo-Saxon food book, but not about what it tastes like.
>
>    I was wondering if there was anyone who had herbs (not spices) to
> recommend for it.  I will hopefully be spit-roasting it, so I don't need
> technique recommendations, but some suggestions as to what will make it
> taste good would be lovely.

Check this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
goat-msg          (14K) 11/ 8/00    Period goat dishes. Cooking goat. Recipes.

Since some period recipes say "lamb or goat" and I may not have filed
some messages both places, you might also check:
lamb-mutton-msg   (84K) 11/ 9/00    Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.

For info on roasting and maybe some more herb suggestions, although
not necessarily specific to goat, check this file:
roast-meats-msg   (66K)  7/ 3/00    Hints and period recipes for beef
roasts.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net